I spent part of the Christmas holiday in Galveston with my family. I enjoyed the warm weather and sunny days. The grand-kids loved walking on the beach and hunting for seashells. This time of year, fog is part of the daily morning routine. A few mornings, the fog thickened to the point it made driving hazardous. A deadly accident occurred one morning because of the foggy conditions.
Even our drive down to the coast became hampered by the fog. The drive required a slower pace as we prayed for safe travel. Soon, I noticed the sun strain to shine through the mist. Little by little, the skies cleared, and the drive continued in a more relaxed atmosphere. Relief washed over me once I could see the road fully once again.
As the sun broke through the fog, I snapped a few photos of the scene. The imagery caused me to think about how God can shine through the fog in our lives. The Son provides a way through the mist of life. When we put our trust in God, His light shines and directs us even when we can’t see the road ahead. Christ remains faithful no matter how thick the fog feels to us or how unsure we are of the way forward.
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”Psalm 119:105
The brightness of the sun can also blind our eyes to the truth around us. In the sunshine that follows the fog, we must still seek to see things with God’s eyes. The world tries to hide the real ugliness of sin beneath a layer of gold and silver. And, many become attracted to the shininess. Only later do we see the actual darkness and become trapped by it. Trust in the Lord to see the best way ahead.
On a recent mission trip to Myanmar, I spend an evening in the capital, Yangon. I watched the sunset over the city below my window and marveled at the beauty. But, in the morning light, I saw the dirtiness that covered the buildings. Things are not always as they seem. Our eyes can deceive us when they don’t seek Christ for the truth.
These two situations taught me a lesson. Both showed me that I need to trust God’s way. He will shine through the fog of life, and He will illuminate the darkness. My own eyes may deceive me, but His eyes show me the truth of the situation. Trust in His ways.
Verses to Overcome the Fog
For those stuck in a fog or blinded by the glitter of the world, here are some verses to help you seek God’s vision for your days:
- Psalm 34:8; “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.”
- Psalm 119:18; “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law.”
- Psalm 146:8; “The LORD gives sight to the blind.”
- Proverbs 20:12; “Ears that hear and eyes that see – the LORD has made them both.”
- Luke 24:31; “Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Jesus.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:18; “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:7; “We live by faith, not by sight.”
- Hebrews 4:13; “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.”
Yvonne M Morgan, #Blogger, #Speaker, #Writer
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
100% of the proceeds from sales of my book, Turning Mountains Into Molehills, go to help the orphans at Orphan Relief Effort, Inc